Recipe by TesB
from America's Test Kitchen TV show. Their note: The cooking times below are for 21/25 shrimp (that is, the size of the shrimp is such that there are 21 to 25 in 1 pound). If 21/25 shrimp are not available, adjust cooking times slightly. Either a nonstick or traditional skillet will work for this recipe, but a nonstick will simplify cleanup.
GARLIC LEMON BUTTER
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (21/25 count)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- lemon wedge, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter with fork in small bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in garlic, lemon juice, parsley, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until combined. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, pepper, and sugar in medium bowl. Add half of shrimp to pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer shrimp to large plate. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and shrimp; after second batch has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet along with flavored butter and toss to combine. Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.