Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
To avoid and small lumps in the batter make certain to sift your cocoa powder, and using a good-quality cocoa will only improve the flavor, the batter will not work well for cupcakes.
Top Review by Breezytoo
Yum! This is a really moist and dark chocolate cake that melts in your mouth! I was a little confused on step 6 where it says to add in the water/coffee mixture because there is no water listed in the ingredients, so didn't add any because the batter was very thin at that point anyway and couldn't see where adding water would come into play. It had no ill effects what so ever on the out come as it baked up beautifully. Thanks for a wonderful recipe Kitten that will satisfy anyones "need good chocolate cake" craving! :)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong coffee, cooled
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans ( can use 8-inch cake pans an increase the baking time slightly).
- In a large bowl combine the sugar with flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix until combined.
- Add in eggs, cooled coffee, buttermilk or milk, vanilla and oil; mix using an electric mixer at medium speed beat until smooth.
- Add in the water/coffee mixture and beat for another 2 minutes (batter will be quite thin).
- Divide mixture evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done (the baking time will vary depending on what size of pan you use).