To avoid and small lumps in the batter make certain to sift your cocoa powder, and using a good-quality cocoa will only improve the flavor, the batter will not work well for cupcakes.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans ( can use 8-inch cake pans an increase the baking time slightly).
- In a large bowl combine the sugar with flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix until combined.
- Add in eggs, cooled coffee, buttermilk or milk, vanilla and oil; mix using an electric mixer at medium speed beat until smooth.
- Add in the water/coffee mixture and beat for another 2 minutes (batter will be quite thin).
- Divide mixture evenly between the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done (the baking time will vary depending on what size of pan you use).