1/2 Photos of Perfect Oil Pastry
Po Valley Indian's Note:
This is an oil pastry that really "works." It's easy, tasty and cholesterol free...and flaky. Pay attention to the detailed technique...and it will turn out perfect!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure the flour carefully and put it in a medium-sized bowl. Add the dash of salt and stir it with a fork.
- 2Pour the oil in and stir and "cut" it with a fork until you've got clumps varying between pea-sized and lima bean-sized.
- 3Distribute the cold water over the mixture and stir and mash with the fork just until it all balls together.
- 4Wipe your countertop with a damp cloth and spread a piece of wax paper on it. The paper should not slide -- if it does, dampen the counter a LITTLE more.
- 5Form a little more than half of the dough into a disk and place it on the wax paper. Cover it with another piece of wax paper.
- 6Roll the dough with a rolling pin from the center out in all directions, keeping it as circular as possible.
- 7Periodically do the following:.
- 8peel off the top piece of wax paper, then lay it gently back on top of the crust.
- 9using the bottom piece to lift it, turn the crust over, peel off that piece of wax paper, lay it back down again and continue rolling.
- 10Continue the peel-replace-flip-peel-replace technique until your crust is about two inches bigger than your pie pan. IMPORTANT: Peel-replace-flip-peel -- then use the bottom piece of paper to lift the crust and place it over your pie pan. Gently peel off the wax paper.
- 11Use the same technique to roll the top crust.
- 12As you prefer, you can leave the top crust whole, cut it into strips for lattice, or whatever.
- 13OPTIONAL: Brush the top crust with milk and/or sprinkle it with sugar.
- 14Bake according to your pie directions.
- 15BON APPETIT!
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Oil Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 312.2
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 27.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g