Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Cooked eggy custards have their place in the ice cream firmament, but in this instance there is nothing that stands in the way of the juicy, ripe immediacy of a much-loved summer fruit. Found on Epicurious and posting here for safe keeping.
- 1 lb strawberry, trimmed, halved if large
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Coarsely mash strawberries with sugar, lemon juice, and salt using a potato masher in a large bowl. Let stand, stirring and mashing occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of strawberry mixture to a blender and purée with cream until smooth. Return strawberry cream to bowl with remaining strawberries and chill, stirring occasionally, until very cold, 3 to 6 hours.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.
This is great and easy too! I like the no-egg and no-cook ice cream and it tastes so full of strawberries. We will be making this a lot during the summer. Thanks for sharing!