Recipe by Annacia
Cooked eggy custards have their place in the ice cream firmament, but in this instance there is nothing that stands in the way of the juicy, ripe immediacy of a much-loved summer fruit. Found on Epicurious and posting here for safe keeping.
- 1 lb strawberry, trimmed, halved if large
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely mash strawberries with sugar, lemon juice, and salt using a potato masher in a large bowl. Let stand, stirring and mashing occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of strawberry mixture to a blender and purée with cream until smooth. Return strawberry cream to bowl with remaining strawberries and chill, stirring occasionally, until very cold, 3 to 6 hours.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to firm up.