Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The title says it all; this is very, very good. I've used this recipe several times since I got it in my homemaking class in high school, circa 1965.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually beat sugar a little at a time.
- Continue beating until stiff and glassy. Don't underbeat.
- Beat until all sugar is dissolved.
- Beat in flavoring (optional).
- Pile meringue onto hot pie filling, being careful to seal meringue onto edge of crust to prevent shrinking and weeping.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes until delicately browned.