Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Simple, basic, how-to recipe. Meat thermometer required. Cook to internal temperature, not elapsed time. Time is approximate for a 5-pound roast. Any size roast will do, just cook to the correct internal temperature. Add 20 minutes for resting time.
- 2267.96 g prime rib roast
- 29.58 ml butter
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pat the rib roast dry with a paper towel or napkin.
- Smear the cut ends of the roast with the butter. Place the roast (ribs down or fat side up) in roasting pan.
- Sear the rib roast for 15 minutes at 450°F, then turn the oven to 325°F for the rest of the cooking time. Every 1/2 hour, baste the cut ends of the roast with the fat accumulated in the roasting pan.
- Cook until rib roast reaches an internal temperature of 120°F Remove from oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil, and let sit approximately 20 minutes. The roast will continue to cook as it sits. Serve when the internal temperature reaches 130°F.
This was great for Easter dinnner, I did add salt & pepper and onion and garlic powder. My 3 pound roast was cooke to 165Â° and came out medium in the middle and medium well in the ends. Thanks for posting CipherBabe. Made for PAC Spring 2010.
Fantastic! Used with Roast Beef Slather on a little 2 lb sirloin roast. 15 minutes @450 degrees F then 20 minutes @325 degrees F yielded a perfect medium rare roast. Will keep this to use again & again. Thank you CipherBabe!
Tried this recipie, for Easter Dinner, and it was the best prime rib I've ever had. We had a large crowd so I needed a large roast. cooked it according to the recipie and it came out fantastic. Was hoping to have some leftovers but everyone enjoyed it so much they were asking for seconds ! I will use this recipie and cooking directions from now on. Can't say enough about the recipie.