3 hrs 20 mins
Chef #443166's Note:
A traditional Italian meatball, slow cooked in a basic Pomodoro Sauce (see "Perfect Pomodoro Sauce"). The idea is to make these as moist and as un-meatloaf tasting as possible. If the meat doesn't seem to "stick" together, add a few more breadcrumbs than whats called for. Slow cooking them in the sauce is the key
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1 onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, large grained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons dried basil or 5 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce, store-bought
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, for sauteing
- 1Grate the onion, set aside (will include a lot of juice, or water).
- 2Mince the garlic very finely, put the salt and olive oil onto it, and with the back end of a chef's knife, work the garlic into a paste.
- 3** Alternative, or if you don't know how to do this, just mince the garlic and onions as finely as you can.
- 4In a large bowl, add the meat, onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, parm cheese, basil, pesto, 3 tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- 5Mix by hand just to combine - do not work it too much.
- 6Form into balls between the size of a golf ball and a large egg, not working the meat too much. Make as much as you can, about 11-12 and put on a plate.
- 7Heat the 4 tbsp olive oil on high heat in a saute pan.
- 8Brown the meatballs on all sides, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- 9Place the already prepared pomodoro sauce in a crock pot, or a large pot on the stove, and carefully add the meatballs.
- 10Cook for at least 3 hours on low (I cook mine for around 6 hours in a crock pot), stirring occasionally.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 137.6 mg
- Sodium 1436.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 31.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: