Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy to make, flavorful. Makes 12 servings, Perfect for those "dish to pass" occasions. Taken From Macaroni & Cheese: 52 Recipes From Simple to Sublime. I use a 3 quart oblong glass dish for this casserole.
- 6 slices good-quality bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 5 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups grated white cheddar cheese (divided) or 18 ounces white cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 cups grated gruyere or 8 ounces gruyere (divided) or 1 1⁄4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese or 5 ounces pecorino romano cheese (divided)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 4 cups elbow macaroni
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter 3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Place bread pieces in medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter,.
- Pour butter into the bowl with bread and toss.
- Set breadcrumbs aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk.
- Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skilled over medium heat.
- When butter bubbles, add flour.
- Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 102 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano.
- Set cheese sauce aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water,. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni: cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stire macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
- Just about now, your kitchen smells wonderful and everyone wants to know "When do we eat?".
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.
Good stuff. I found this in Martha Stewart's Best Comfort Food. There's nothing like homemade macaroni and cheese. Thanks for posting this!