Chef #1206946's Note:
Easy to make, flavorful. Makes 12 servings, Perfect for those "dish to pass" occasions. Taken From Macaroni & Cheese: 52 Recipes From Simple to Sublime. I use a 3 quart oblong glass dish for this casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices good-quality bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4 inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 cups grated white cheddar cheese (divided) or 18 ounces white cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 cups grated gruyere or 8 ounces gruyere (divided) or 1 1/4 cups grated pecorino romano cheese or 5 ounces pecorino romano cheese (divided)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni or 4 cups elbow macaroni
- 1Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Butter 3 quart casserole dish and set aside.
- 3Place bread pieces in medium bowl.
- 4In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter,.
- 5Pour butter into the bowl with bread and toss.
- 6Set breadcrumbs aside.
- 7In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk.
- 8Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skilled over medium heat.
- 9When butter bubbles, add flour.
- 10Cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 11Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking.
- 12Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- 13Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar, and 1 102 cups Gruyere or 1 cup pecorino Romano.
- 14Set cheese sauce aside.
- 15Fill a large saucepan with water,. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni: cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until outside of pasta is cooked and inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stire macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
- 16Just about now, your kitchen smells wonderful and everyone wants to know "When do we eat?".
- 17Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar and 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano; scatter breadcrumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Macaroni and Cheese from Martha Stewart
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 606.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 107.7 mg
- Sodium 877.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 27.9 g