Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
There are many recipes out there for lil smokies and I have tried them all, but none compare to this recipe. The sauce has just enough of a tasty mix of sweet from the brown sugar and spicy from the dijon mustard
- 2 (16 ounce) packages Little Smokies sausages
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard (any prepared brown mustard will do)
- Mix brown sugar, ketchup and dijon mustard in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Pour sauce over lil smokies and simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes.
- You can also put in crockpot on low setting.
I have tried endless sweet and sour grape jelly recipes and hated them all. This easy recipe is AMAZING. The sauce is perfect at first, but when the weenies release liquid, it gets runny. I fix this by starting them simmering on the stove for the first 45 min, and then transferring only the weenies to a crock pot while leaving the sauce on the stove. I turn up the heat pretty high while constantly stirring to reduce the sauce to a thick consistency before adding it to the crock pot with the weenies (5 min or so? ). I also have used Nathans hot dogs cut up when I did not have Lil smokies on hand it that is pretty good too. I LOVE this sauce.
Absolutely love this recipe. When you have picky kids around it is hard to get them to try new things but my nieces and nephews LOVED these. The sauce is absolutely amazing and delicious. Extremely easy to make.
Really easy and great flavor.