Recipe by Minxkat1
Perfect for those of us who hate fiddling with pie crust, this pie is sweet with tart lemon flavour. Although the preparation looks involved this is actually quite a simple pie to make, and the end result is worth it!
Top Review by Beth Wise
I made this pie over the weekend. I followed the recipe EXACTLY and it didn't work -- the meringue was awesome but the filling didn't set. I don't know if there was an error in the recipe or in my technique but either way, it flopped. :(
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened to room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups cold water
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- For crust, blend crumbs, butter and sugar in a bowl.
- Spoon into 9" piepan and press firmly against the bottom and sides (but not over rim).
- Bake 8- 10 minutes.
- Cool before filling.
- For pie filling, mix cornstarch, sugar and salt in heavy saucepan, slowly blend in water, and heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Blend a little hot mixture into egg yolks, return to pan and cook and stir over lowest heat 2- 3 minutes; do not boil.
- Off heat, stir in 1/2 cup lemon juice and the 2 Tbsp butter.
- Spoon filling into pie shell.
- To create meringue use glass mixing bowl for best results, although metal works fine too.
- DO NOT use plastic.
- Beat egg whites until frothy using electric hand mixer, add cream of tartar and salt, continue beating, adding sugar 1 Tbsp at a time.
- When all sugar is incorporated, add vanilla and beat hard (highest mixer speed) until glossy and peaks stand straight up when beaters are withdrawn.
- Spoon about half the meringue around the edge of warm filling, pile remainder in the middle, twirling spoon around to create peaks.
- Bake pie for 12- 15 minutes until touched with brown.
- Cool pie at least two hours before serving.