A yummy hearty grainy pancake! Lots of fiber, vitamins, and flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup oats (old fashioned or quick oats will work. I use old fashioned though)
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup winter squash (Pureed. Can be found in the freezer aisle next to the frozen spinach)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or honey)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk (any milk should be fine though)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or some other fat such as melted butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1Measure and combine dry ingredients into one bowl. Mix to combine ingredients well.
- 2Measure and combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Use a whisk to combine thoroughly.
- 3Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix gently. You want to combine all ingredients well without over mixing. Overmixing will make a tough pancake.
- 4Set bowl aside for at least 10 minutes. The oats need some time to get soft and incorporate well into the batter.
- 5In the meantime, turn on a griddle to 325 degrees or a large skillet to about medium heat.
- 6Apply a thin layer of oil to the griddle or skillet. (I pour a blob of oil on there and then wipe gelty with a paper towel so there is just a thin film left).
- 7Stir the batter gently a couple of times to redistribute the oats in the batter and pour pancake batter onto preheated griddle with a scant 1/4 cup measure.
- 8When small bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, it's time to flip (about 2 or 3 minutes per side).
- 9Serve with maple syrup or any other yummy pancake topping. To avoid sugar, try peanut butter or cream cheese. My 20 month old son likes his this way.
- 10*This recipe is very versatile. Add fruit, flax seeds, chocolate chips, or whatever to the batter before cooking for a little change.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Health Pancakes (7 Points Per Serving on Weight Watchers
Serving Size: 1 (196 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.1
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 107.6 mg
- Sodium 563.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten