Recipe by Helping Hands
This is a recipe that I got off of another recipe site and it makes the most delicious ham and bean soup! I make it anytime that I have leftover ham and a ham hock. It is very important to use a ham hock, and it is not to be made in a crockpot. But, made as directed, it is the best that I have ever tasted!
Top Review by 2 girls' mommy
Not a fan. My husband said it was good the first time, but since I had leftovers, it did not save at all. It tasted awful...mustardy and...ugh. Not sure what I did wrong, although my husband was in charge of the last step..
- 1 lb dry great northern bean
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 ham hock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- After rinsing and sorting beans, place water in large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and beans and remove from heat.
- Let beans sit in water for one hour.
- Add ham hock, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, mustard, and bay leaves.
- Stir throughly.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for one hour.
- Remove ham hock.
- Add ham, stir, and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Season with pepper and serve.