Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
You will want to drizzle this luscious gravy on everything on your plate! How can you go wrong with Southern Living?
- 1 turkey giblets, and neck from 1 turkey
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- fresh parsley sprig, garnish
- Melt butter in a large, hot skillet; add vegetables, and sauté.
- Add flour, stirring constantly until smooth and combined.
- Add reserved broth, whisking constantly, until thickened.
- Proceed with recipe as directed.
- Bring giblets, neck, and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving broth.
- Chop giblets and neck meat, and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add chopped vegetables, and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Add reserved broth; cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Remove vegetables using a hand-held, wire-mesh strainer, and discard, leaving gravy in skillet.
- Whisk together egg yolks and half-and-half.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot gravy into yolk mixture; add to remaining hot gravy.
- Add giblets and neck meat; cook, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and seasoning.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish, if desired.
- Makes 4 cups.