6 hrs 30 mins
I know most of us don't fry chicken much anymore, due to time & health reasons, but for that once a year "do it the old fashioned way" - this is perfect. Takes some time & prep, but so definitely worth it. You won't be sorry!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk the egg & buttermilk together & submerge chicken pieces. Cover & refrigerate overnight (minimally 6 hrs.).
- 2When ready to fry chicken: Mix flour, salt, celery seed & pepper in a shallow dish. Heat 2 - 3 inches of oil in a deep skillet to 350 to 365 degrees F (medium high heat).
- 3While oil heats, remove chicken a piece at a time from the milk. Let excess drip off. Coat chicken evenly with flour & place on wire rack or wax paper for a few minutes.
- 4When oil is hot, give 4 pieces of chicken a second coating of flour and carefully lower into skillet. Handle with slotted spoon, as tongs can break the crust, turning occasionally.
- 5When golden brown & cooked through (approx 8 - 12 min for breasts & wings & 10 - 12 minutes for legs & thighs), carefully remove to plate with papertowel on it or a rack. (You may want to hold in a preheated 250 degree F oven to keep warm while you do the rest of the chicken.).
- 6Prep time includes refrigeration time for chicken.
- 7Recipe is easily increased.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2382.9
- Calories from Fat 1969
- Total Fat 218.8 g
- Saturated Fat 37.1 g
- Cholesterol 299.1 mg
- Sodium 2054.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 65.8 g