Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This was on the Martha Stewart Show and is just awesome!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 medium orange, juice of
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cognac (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 slices bread, 1-inch-thick, such as brioche, preferably day-old
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pure maple syrup (optional)
- Whisk together eggs, milk, juice, vanilla, cognac, sugar, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Place bread in a shallow baking dish large enough to hold bread slices in a single layer.
- Pour egg mixture over bread; soak 10 minutes. Turn slices over; soak 10 minutes more or until soaked through.
- Preheat oven to 200°.
- Place a wire rack on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry half the bread slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to wire rack; place in oven while cooking remaining bread.
- Wipe skillet, and repeat with remaining butter, oil, and bread.
- Keep in oven until ready to serve.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
This is awesome! I loved the flavor of the orange juice and everyone else gave it rave reviews. Thanks, Mary!