Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is the perfect, traditional four bean salad. Just the right balance of tangy, savory, and sweet, and no "extra" ingredients. This one is for the purists. Note: Cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian cut green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow wax beans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- Drain beans and mix in large bowl.
- In small bowl, mix sugar and vinegar. Let stand until sugar dissolves. Stir in oil, salt, pepper, mustard, and basil.
- Pour over beans, mix. Cover and refrigerate at least a few hours - overnight is better.
- To serve, add parsley and onion.