Recipe by Cheri 911
This is the perfect, traditional four bean salad. Just the right balance of tangy, savory, and sweet, and no "extra" ingredients. This one is for the purists. Note: Cooking time is marinating time.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can Italian cut green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow wax beans
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain beans and mix in large bowl.
- In small bowl, mix sugar and vinegar. Let stand until sugar dissolves. Stir in oil, salt, pepper, mustard, and basil.
- Pour over beans, mix. Cover and refrigerate at least a few hours - overnight is better.
- To serve, add parsley and onion.