Recipe by Healthy Debbie
With cooler weather here, now is the perfect time to make a hearty, but easy to make, warm dish. This meatless dish will give you plenty of energy as you tackle fall chores or watch football games. It's very versatile with lots of individual options for adding or substituting other ingredients. Enjoy!!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Although I did include 2 cups of the tomatoes, 3 cups of beans & just 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, THIS CHILI WAS GREAT ~ I just like lots of beans in my chili & the extra tomatoes gave it a little more liquidity! Definitely something I'd make again! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 7⁄8 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, petite diced works well (plain or flavored)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned chili beans or 1 1⁄2 cups red kidney beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 7 -8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water and add to the textured vegetable protein. Let it sit until most of the water is absorbed.
- Saute the onion and pepper in the olive oil until soft.
- Combine the TVP, onions and peppers, diced tomatoes, and the rest of the ingredients into a teflon lined pan and cook on medium low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.