Recipe by MexiMami
After playing around with many recipes I have finally found the right combination of ingredients so that they turn out just right! Prep time includes time to let dough sit and cooking time is per tortilla. I hope that this is easy to understand...its the first recipe I'm posting if you have any difficulty or don't understand it please let me know as it may not be written the way I would show someone.
Directions See How It's Made
- Into a bowl combine the flour and salt. Sift until it has been mixed well.
- Next add the lard one scoop at a time until you have a crumbly mixture.
- Slowly add water while mixing with hands. The mixture should soak up the water right away. Spread a little bit of lard on your hands in order to get the mix off.
- With the lard still on your hands, tear off golf ball sized pieces and roll each piece into a tight ball.
- Once all of the dough is made into separate balls let stand in bowl at room temperature for about half an hour to an hour, while covered with a kitchen cloth.
- After they have sat for the desired amount of time, roll out into a thin round flat shape (you can make them more or less thick according to personal preference).
- Heat dough up on very hot ungreased pan. Each side should take 15-25 seconds to cook. You will know when the second side is done when a large bubble forms. Each side should have several brown spots on them.
- You can place cooked tortillas into plastic bag with a kitchen cloth inside to keep them soft.