Works best on the grill, the actual cook time is only a few minutes. This is actually a recipe on columnist John C. Dvorak's blog, which he has graciously made available to the public. The URL is http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=6283
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs flank steaks
- 5 ounces soya sauce (Japanese style)
- 1 tablespoon sumac (powdered)
- 1Put whole flank steak into a shallow pan the bottom of which has 1/8-inch of Japanese style light soya sauce (Kikkoman is perfect for this). Cover the top of the meat with more soya sauce. Let stand (turning several times) in the marinade for 15-20 minutes but no longer as it begins to cook the meat.
- 2Have ready a mesquite charcoal fire going in a barbecue grill. Make sure there are enough embers to produce flames from the charcoal. Toss the flank steak on the grill and cook for 4 minutes on each side (this has to be adjusted with meat thickness). The meat should be cooked rare but should be nice and seared on the outside.
- 3Slice the meat across the grain at a sharp angle and in thin slices. Layer the pieces on the plate so the red center of each piece shows. Sprinkle a tablespoon of sumac over the slices. Sumac is a lemon-flavored Middle Eastern spice found at International grocers. It’s not critical to the success of this dish, but it’s a great flourish.
- 4This dish can also be accomplished under a good broiler but never picks up the wood flavors and it is more difficult to sear. You need a hot temperature to make the recipe work. When you start to nail this recipe, it’s exceptionally spectacular. It takes a couple of shots to get it down. I’ve seen variations on the presentation where the meat is topped with chimichurra or placed on top of a mixture of crushed tomatoes, garlic and basil. Whatever is done, the marinade/cooking process is the most critical aspect of this dish.
- 5This goes well with a salad and a good rice dish.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Flank Steak (London Broil)
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.6
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 2117.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 51.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: