Cook1 hr 30 mins
I don't like mushy eggplant so had to develop my own recipe. I've checked in Zaar and although there are some close to mine, there is just enough difference to make it worthwhile posting. When I'm having spaghetti, I always make enough sauce and freeze it so that I can have eggplant the following week or so. I don't peel eggplant but that's your choice.
- 2 medium eggplants (or 3-4 Chinese eggplants)
- 59.14 ml oil (vegetable or canola)
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs, more if needed (beaten)
- 473.18 ml breadcrumbs (Italian flavor or flavor your own)
- 709.77 ml mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese (grated)
- 473.18 ml pasta sauce (make your own or purchase)
- Wash eggplant, dry, trim ends.
- Slice to 1/4 inch rounds.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides.
- Spread out in strainer over sink, or in bowl for 1 hour to drain moisture.
- Rinse well and pat dry with paper towels.
- Put flour in flat dish, eggs in bowl, breadcrumbs in separate flat dish.
- Coat both sides of slices in flour.
- Dip in egg.
- Coat in breadcrumbs.
- Stack in separate dish.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Brown slices in oil a few at a time, may have to change oil if it gets too brown.
- Drain on papertowels (I just do this in layers).
- In a 9x13 baking dish, spread a couple of tablespoons of sauce on the bottom.
- Place a layer of eggplant (can be overlapped), spread sauce, sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan.
- Repeat layers till done. Takes me three layers, so divide all items in three.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until cheese melts.