Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This delicious recipe came from my sis in law and turns out perfectly every time and is soo easy to make! I get many requests for this recipe.
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
- Cook to hardball stage, (260 degrees), stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, as temperature of syrup reaches 250 degrees, beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
- When syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and beat until candy holds its shape, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts or cherries, if desired.
- Quickly drop candy from a teaspoon onto waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.
- Let cool.
Very good! Turns out everytime! Just a hint to make spooning it easier. Have a cup of cold water ready and dip your metal spoon in it when scooping it. Slides right off. (My Grandma taught me this)
I love Divinity! My granny and I make it every Christmas and instead of stirring in the nuts we place a singel pecan on each one which makes it very pretty! This recipe is a good one!! I have one small change though, I decreased the sugar to 2 cups because my first batch was very stiff. My second batch was perfect! Like little pillows of goodness! My granny also says never to make it on a rainy day, too much humidity!
Yummy! Just like my Auntie used to make. I used my Kitchen Aid and only needed to beat it at the 8 speed for about 3 minutes. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly.