This delicious recipe came from my sis in law and turns out perfectly every time and is soo easy to make! I get many requests for this recipe.
- In a 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
- Cook to hardball stage, (260 degrees), stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, as temperature of syrup reaches 250 degrees, beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
- When syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and beat until candy holds its shape, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts or cherries, if desired.
- Quickly drop candy from a teaspoon onto waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.
- Let cool.