Prep 3 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use only shortening for this, do not use butter, margarine or oil! Tips for dipping chocolate on bottom!
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips (use pure chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- Remove the chilled candy from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before coating (dipping cold centers can result in cracked coating).
- Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a 2-cup measuring bowl.
- Place the bowl into a larger bowl which contains very warm water (about100-110F) the water should reach only halfway up the 2-cup bowl with the chocolate (DO NOT LET EVEN 1 DROP WATER MIX WITH CHOCOLATE!).
- Stir mixture constantly with a small spatula until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth (this should take about 16-18 minutes, do not rush the melted process).
- If necessary replace the water with more very warm water.
- remove the 2-cup bowl with melted chocolate from the water and continue to stir until all the chocolate is cooled slightly (about 2-3 minutes).
- Set one candy onto a two-pronged fork, then completely dip candy into melted chocolate.
- Gently tap the fork against side of the bowl to remove any excess melted chocolate.
- Place onto baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Repeat with remaining candy.
- If the chocolate becomes too thick for dipping, place the bowl containing the chocolate into the bowl with warm water until desired consistancy.
- TIPS ON HOW TO WORK WITH DIPPING CHOCOLATE.
- Avoid all types of moisture when melting the chocolate, any steam or drops of moisture can cause the mixture to :seize" or become very firm, crumbly and grainy, if this occurs it can be corrected by stirring in 1 teaspoon shortening for each 2 ounces of melted chocolate.
- Chocolate can also be melted over low heat in a double boiler.
- Store the chocolate tightly wrapped in a cool dry place, do not refrigerate.
Great recipe, I am in Australia and used copha instead of Chrisco Shortening, melted it first the added to the melted chocolate, worked brilliantly
This worked great for dipping strawberries! However, it was a tad thin in consistency, so I may try decreasing the shortening ever so slightly next time. Thank you.
Finally I understand why I had so many problems with my chocolate. This worked flawlessly!