1/2 Photos of Perfect Dipping Chocolate
Use only shortening for this, do not use butter, margarine or oil! Tips for dipping chocolate on bottom!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips (use pure chocolate chips)
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening
- 1Remove the chilled candy from the refrigerator about 10 minutes before coating (dipping cold centers can result in cracked coating).
- 2Place the chocolate chips and shortening in a 2-cup measuring bowl.
- 3Place the bowl into a larger bowl which contains very warm water (about100-110F) the water should reach only halfway up the 2-cup bowl with the chocolate (DO NOT LET EVEN 1 DROP WATER MIX WITH CHOCOLATE!).
- 4Stir mixture constantly with a small spatula until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth (this should take about 16-18 minutes, do not rush the melted process).
- 5If necessary replace the water with more very warm water.
- 6remove the 2-cup bowl with melted chocolate from the water and continue to stir until all the chocolate is cooled slightly (about 2-3 minutes).
- 7Set one candy onto a two-pronged fork, then completely dip candy into melted chocolate.
- 8Gently tap the fork against side of the bowl to remove any excess melted chocolate.
- 9Place onto baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- 10Repeat with remaining candy.
- 11If the chocolate becomes too thick for dipping, place the bowl containing the chocolate into the bowl with warm water until desired consistancy.
- 12TIPS ON HOW TO WORK WITH DIPPING CHOCOLATE.
- 13Avoid all types of moisture when melting the chocolate, any steam or drops of moisture can cause the mixture to :seize" or become very firm, crumbly and grainy, if this occurs it can be corrected by stirring in 1 teaspoon shortening for each 2 ounces of melted chocolate.
- 14Chocolate can also be melted over low heat in a double boiler.
- 15Store the chocolate tightly wrapped in a cool dry place, do not refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Dipping Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.0
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 0.3 g