Recipe by uberivy
This is an excellent recipe for crock-pot beef stew, as adapted from a combination of two other highly-rated stove-top beef stew recipes posted. I made it as an experiment, and my friends and family exclaimed over it for days afterwards!
Top Review by Julie F
A very good stew! This was a little tangy for my taste, possibly due to the hoisin sauce. I used a Cabernet Sauvignon and might use a Burgundy next time. I liked all the ingredients and by my WW calculator, it came out much healthier than the nutritional information states. (I believe it was 6 points plus) It was easy to make in the crock pot and I have never smelled anything so heavenly in all my life!!! I want to make it again just to have my house smell that way! My family doesn't like stew so I am enjoying eating this all by myself!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup leek, chopped fine
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes or 2 large red potatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (1/3 c. chopped fresh)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup cremini mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, to thicken sauce if needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 TBSPs oil in large skillet, season meat with salt and pepper, stir meat in oil until slightly browned.
- Transfer meat into crock-pot and add onions and 2 TBSPs oil to skillet, reduce heat to medium—sauté onions until golden brown, mix with meat.
- Sauté leeks briefly in skillet and add to meat and onions in crock pot.
- Add wine, tomatoes with juices, garlic, herbs, hoisin sauce, water, and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 4-5 hours on low setting, or 2 on high.
- Add carrots and potatoes and beef broth. Cook another 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms. Cook for final hour on low setting.
- Uncover, increase heat, stir until thickened—add cornstarch if necessary. Discard bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.