Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
If pumpkin seeds are properly toasted they are wonderfully crunchy to eat, boiling the seeds in the stated amounts of water will create the best crunchy pumpkin seeds --- you will use 2 cups water to every 1/2 cup seeds and about 2 teaspoons of salt to every 2 cups water --- yield is only estimated it will depend on how much seeds you get from one medium pumpkin.
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Set oven rack to middle position.
- Cut open the pumpkin.
- Use a strong metal spoon to scoop out the insides of the pumpkin.
- Separate the seeds from the stringy core.
- Rinse the seeds under cold water.
- In a small saucepan add in the seeds to the water and salt (the amount of water and salt you will need is listed in the heading) bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes (set timer to for this, and start timer when water is at a full boil).
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Place on a paper towel and pat the seeds fairly dry (they do not have to be completely dry!).
- Brush about 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of a cookie/baking sheet.
- Spread out the seeds onto the cookie/baking sheet in one layer.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the seeds begin to brown.
- When the seeds are browned to your liking then remove from oven and let the pan cool on a rack.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Either crack open to remove the inner seed or eat whole.
Kittencal does it again! These are the best pumpkin seeds I've ever had. Even my daughter who never eats pumpkin seeds has been asking for them as her snack for school most days. The boiling makes all the difference!
Deliciously crunchy and so addicting! Just keep an eye on the seeds so they don't burn.
I am snacking on this wonderful treat right now, fresh out of the oven! Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly (except for using vegetable oil, since i was out of olive oil ) and they turned out perfectly! My pumpkin yielded about 2 cups of seeds, so I used 4 cups of water and 4 teaspoons of salt. I cooked them in my toaster oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and it was the perfect amount of time. Would recommend this to anyone! Thanks for the recipe Kittencalskitchen! YUM!