Recipe by Catherine Robson
I was given this recipe by a work friend about 17 years ago when I was just a young bride learning my way in the kitchen. I am still young and this is still my husband's favourite recipe for corn beef. It's simple and the flavour is not cluttered up with cloves and onion.
Top Review by catssieo
Wow...this was the best Corned Beef ever! I cooked mine in the old fashioned square Pyrex dish with lid and it worked out awesome. I did turn the meat over 2/3 of the way through and added vinegar flavored with garlic. Yummy, yummy, yummy to say the least. I love dishes that can be cooked fast & easy....this is definitely a keeper!
- 1 1⁄2 kg corned beef (3.3lbs)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 oven cooking bag
Directions See How It's Made
- Place corned beef into oven bag.
- Add all ingredients & then tie knot in bag (or with string etc).
- Shake to mix.
- Place bag with meat fat side up in a microwave container which is large enough to fit (this is for safety reasons as liquid will be extremely hot when done).
- Pierce bag a couple of times to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 Minutes.
- Then reduce to a simmer & cook for 20 minutes per 500grams (1.1lbs).(power level 6 on my microwave).
- Allow to stand for 30 Minutes.
- Slice and serve hot.
- (Leave any left over portions in liquid until serving so the meat does not dry out.).
- Note:- It is possible to make this in a large enough microwave bowl without the bag. The bowl must have a lid with holes and the liquid must cover the meat entirely ie. double the recipe.