Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I was given this recipe by a work friend about 17 years ago when I was just a young bride learning my way in the kitchen. I am still young and this is still my husband's favourite recipe for corn beef. It's simple and the flavour is not cluttered up with cloves and onion.
- 1 1⁄2 kg corned beef (3.3lbs)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 oven cooking bag
- Place corned beef into oven bag.
- Add all ingredients & then tie knot in bag (or with string etc).
- Shake to mix.
- Place bag with meat fat side up in a microwave container which is large enough to fit (this is for safety reasons as liquid will be extremely hot when done).
- Pierce bag a couple of times to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 Minutes.
- Then reduce to a simmer & cook for 20 minutes per 500grams (1.1lbs).(power level 6 on my microwave).
- Allow to stand for 30 Minutes.
- Slice and serve hot.
- (Leave any left over portions in liquid until serving so the meat does not dry out.).
- Note:- It is possible to make this in a large enough microwave bowl without the bag. The bowl must have a lid with holes and the liquid must cover the meat entirely ie. double the recipe.
Wow...this was the best Corned Beef ever! I cooked mine in the old fashioned square Pyrex dish with lid and it worked out awesome. I did turn the meat over 2/3 of the way through and added vinegar flavored with garlic. Yummy, yummy, yummy to say the least. I love dishes that can be cooked fast & easy....this is definitely a keeper!
I tried this recipe because I didn't want to wait 10 hours for a crock pot recipe. I used the roasting bag but did not put any seasoning in. I micro waved the 3 lbs. of corned beef for 10 min. on high and then I sliced 2 small heads of cabbage and added them to the bag plus 1-1/2 cups of water. I microwaved it on #6 setting for 90 minutes and it was so-o-o good! I think it was the best we've tasted. No more roasting in the oven or cooking in the crock pot for me. This saved time and since I used the cooking bag, there was no clean up. What a great idea!
Great recipe. Try replacing the water with orange juice to make even more delicious.