Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
I really stink at making muffins, I mean REALLY stink at it. I failed muffin class 101, BUT for some reason I came up with this recipe that I have YET to mess up. Go figure! Makes 48 mini muffins OR a little over 12 regular sized muffins. EDITED to change butter from 3/4 to 1/2 cup!!!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with a few teaspoons lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 cup melted then cooled butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4-1 cup thawed frozen corn
- Grease mini muffin tins well then sprinkle the tins with a little flour to really get the tins stick proof! Preheat oven to 475°.
- Mix flour, corn meal, sugar, baking soda, salt and brown sugar together well.
- Mix milk, egg, and butter together in another bowl then stir in corn.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and mix ONLY until just blended. Do not over mix!
- Scoop mixture into prepared tins and lower oven temp to 425 and bake for 8-12 minutes for mini muffin tins or about 15-20 for regular sized muffins OR until tooth pick comes out clean from the center muffin.
- Let cool on wire racks.
Really great cornbread muffins! I made as written, except I used white cornmeal (what I had). Loved the addition of the corn to the muffin... added some interesting texture and an extra hint of sweetness. Very good -- I will make again!
The ingredients and measurements made a great batter. I was pleasantly surprise by the brown sugar! I felt that the oven temp and bake time was too high. I cut the bake time down to 12 minutes for regular sized muffins and they still came out a little more dry than I would have liked. They were still a good side to our chili dinner though.
Never made cornbread before or even tasted it for that matter but I always wanted to! I don't know what they are supposed to take like but these turned out awesome! I made some full sized and some baby muffins as my daughter loves them. I thought they had a little too much sugar in them, but they turned out not too sweet. I may lessen the sugar a touch next time. DH doesn't like cornbread, but I will con him into trying them! LOL