Prep 13 hrs
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from Better Homes And Gardens, I plan on making it this year for Christmas.
- 1 kg salt
- 10 liters water
- 4 tablespoons thyme
- 20 juniper berries
- 1 (5 kg) turkey
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons sage
- 150 g butter
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Bring salt, water, thyme and berries to a simmer in a large pot, then set aside to cool.
- Put turkey in a large basin, at least twice as large as the bird.
- Pour the brine over the turkey, cover, and rset aside in a cool dark place for 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 150°C Put the turkey in a large baking dish, on a rack, drizzle with oil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Bring stock, sage, butter, and peppercorns to the boil and baste the turkey.
- Bake for 45 minutes, basting every 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven up to 220C and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven, cover with foil and a towel, and rest for 15 minutes.
I was a sceptical, so much so, I had a couple of chickens on standby.
But...out of my oven on Christmas day came the most amazing turkey ever. Tender and juicy and it truly did only take less than an hour.
My guests said it was the BEST turkey ever!!