Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bored with that steak dinner or roastbeef? Spike it up with these delicious caramelized onions that are so so good even on your burger. Fast and freshly made or frozen for that special occassion when time is of the essence..try this nice change to plain brown gravy..you won't be sorry ;)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil (canola)
- 4 large white onions (thick sliced)
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown food coloring (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Over medium heat, heat skillet before placing in butter and oil.
- Add onion, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat, moving the onions around, until onions begin to get browned; approx.
- 8-10 minutes.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 13-15 minutes.
- The onions will sweat down and be glossy and soft.
- *(At this point for visual affects, I add 1/2 tsp. Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet) to give it a rich brown color.
- Can be made in advance; freezes very well for the next Sunday roastbeef dinner.
- Serve with hamburgers, roasts or steaks.
These were great!
These are great! So easy and tasty; they reminded me of being in a steak house! Will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks!
Absolutely Fantastic! I made this to serve with quick hot roast beef sandwiches. I used thin sliced deli eye roast on a hard Italian roll with cheese on top. I microwaved these till hot and then topped with the onions. Thanks Gingerbee for a wonderful recipe.