Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This frosting really does qualify as perfect. If you follow the recipe to the letter it will be the most satiny, delicious chocolate frosting.
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup butter, cut into tablespoons (2 sticks)
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Place a large mixing bowl full of ice in the kitchen sink.
- Place the chocolate chips, half and half, and butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until the chips and butter melt and the mixture thickens, 5 to 6 minutes. Do not let it boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk the confectioners' sugar into the mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Then, place the saucepan in the bowl of ice, taking special care not to let any of the ice water spill into the saucepan.
- Beat the mixture with an electric mixer set on low speed until the frosting thickens and is satiny and fudgelike in appearance, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Spread onto the cake of your choice. The frosting will stiffen up as it sets. If it gets too hard to spread, simply place the saucepan back over low heat and stir until it reaches spreading consistency.
I have never been able to make homemade frosting to my dismay. However all of that has changed due to this recipe thank you so much for sharing I'm baking like a pro now!
This frosting is absolutely delicious! I found when I made it that I needed to let it sit in the pan of ice for a few minutes more than the recipe said before the consistency was ideal for frosting the cake, though.
Just spread it on Darn Good Chocolate Cake Mix Cake and I can't wait until we sing Happy Birthday to our 4 year old tonight. It tastes great and it spread so smoothly. I will definitely be using this recipe again. Now if I could just learn how to spread it on to look perfect . . . :)