1/4 Photos of " Perfect" Chocolate Frosting
This is now one of my favorite chocolate frostings. I got it from "The Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor" by anne byrn. I have made a few changes to the recipe. Actually, I didn't have the 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips that the original recipe called for. Lennie came to the rescue (thanks!) by figuring out the appropriate amount of semisweet squares to use, which I did have on hand. Now I always make it with the squares instead of the chips. This frosting is very thick, creamy, and fudgy. I usually bake two 9-inch layers, cut them into four layers, and slather this frosting on each and every layer and all over the top and sides--because I like a little cake with my frosting :) Another thanks goes out to leeannr for making me post this recipe. Now she loves it as much as I do.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place a large bowl, filled halfway with ice, in the sink (a bowl that is large enough to hold the pot that you will cook the frosting in).
- 2In a medium size pot over medium low heat, melt chocolate, cream, and butter.
- 3Stirring constantly, cook the mixture until all of the butter and chocolate melts and thickens.
- 4Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- 5DO NOT LET BOIL.
- 6Remove pot from heat.
- 7Whisk in the sifted confectioners' sugar until mixture becomes smooth (approximately 1 minute), then put the pot on top of the bowl of ice (be careful to not allow any ice from the larger bowl to get into pot with the chocolate mixture).
- 8Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 4-5 minutes until frosting becomes smooth, thick, and fudgy.
- 9Remove from ice.
- 10Spread onto cooled cake layers.
- 11The frosting will thicken as it sets up.
- 12If the frosting gets too hard to spread, put back on LOW heat and stir constantly until you get the spreading consistency desired.
- 13***I have been adding 1 Tbs. of light corn syrup to the initial heavy cream and chocolate mixture to add more glossiness to the frosting.***.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for " Perfect" Chocolate Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (820 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4076.8
- Calories from Fat 2872
- Total Fat 319.1 g
- Saturated Fat 200.3 g
- Cholesterol 651.0 mg
- Sodium 1713.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 354.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.8 g
- Sugars 295.2 g
- Protein 26.8 g