A cake to die for! Three layered chocolate cake with a whipped cream filling between layers and frosted overall with a decadent chocolate frosting. Recipe found on another website.
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- For Cake: Combine cocoa with boiling water and mix with a whisk, then cool completely.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 3 9" layer cake pans.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla at high speed for 5 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture in 4ths alternately with cocoa mixture in 3rds.
- Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Do not overbeat.
- Divide evenly in prepared pans and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove and cool on rack.
- For Filling: Whip cream, add sugar and vanilla.
- Beat until thick.
- For Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate chips, cream and butter.
- Stir over medium heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat and blend in powdered sugar with a whisk.
- In a bowl over ice, beat until it holds its shape.
- To assemble Cake: Place 1 layer top side down on large plate and spread with half the whipped cream.
- Place 2nd layer top side down on whipped cream and spread remaining whipped cream on top.
- Place 3rd cake layer on top, top side up.
- Frost sides and top of cake with chocolate frosting.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or longer before serving.