1/1 Photo of "perfect Chocolate Cake" Mccall's Cooking School
Marcea Pfarner's Note:
My Grandmother use to make this every Christmases, some the recipe got out of her book never to be seen again!! Finally found it! Makes a truly wonderful chocolate cake
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsifted unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1In medium bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water, mixing with wire whisk until smooth.
- 2Cool completely.
- 3Sift flour with soda, salt and baking powder.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Grease well and lightly flour three 9 by 1 1/2 inch layer-cake pans.
- 6In large bowl of electric mixer, at high speed, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla, scraping bowl occasionally until light-about 5 minutes.
- 7At low speed, beat in flour mixture (in fourths), alternately with cocoa mixture (in thirds), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
- 8Divide evenly into pans;smooth top. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- 9Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- 10Carefully loosen sides with spatula; 4. Remove from pans; cool on racks.
- 11Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces,cream, butter;stir over medium heat until smooth.
- 12Remove from heat.
- 13With whisk, blend in 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar.
- 14In bowl set over ice(I use ice cubes) beat until it holds shape.
- 1518. Filling: whip cream with sugar and vanilla;refrigerate.
- 16To assemble cake: On plate place a layer, top side down;spread with half of cream.
- 17Place second layer, top side down;spread with rest of cream.
- 18Place third layer, top side up. To frost: With spatula, frost sides first,covering whipped cream;use rest of frosting on top, swirling decoratively.
- 19Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- 20To cut, use a thin-edged sharp knife;slice with a sawing motion.
- 21And forget the swirls.
- 22I think it looks gourmet just to spread the frosting.
- 23It dries really dark and looks cool.
- 24Somethimes I just drag a sharp knife across the top in lines and sometimes I leave it as it is. From McCall's Cooking School.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "perfect Chocolate Cake" Mccall's Cooking School
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1016.2
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 34.2 g
- Cholesterol 213.0 mg
- Sodium 758.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 91.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g