Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a no-fail recipe that anyone can accomplish. Cheers!!
- 3 -4 cubed round steaks (you can always use a better cut of beef if you so choose)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- salt and pepper both sides of the meat. mix flour, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder and coat both sides of each steak with flour mixture. now dip each steak in egg wash on both sides. finally put back in flour mixture on both sides again. fry in 350 degree oil browned on each side. you can either pan fry with or deep fry. it's your choice. both methods turn out fantastic! fry until deep golden brown. let rest for a few moments on a paper towel.
- for the gravy -.
- brown onion in butter until caramelized. add flour and whisk for a few minutes until rawness is out of flour. now add beef stock and whisk until it starts to thicken up. simmer for 10 minutes. add cream and mix throughout and pour over chicken fried steaks and enjoy. this is an excellent recipe and i think you'll agree.
- ***if you want to have more of a traditional white pepper gravy, use whole milk instead of beef stock. still add the cream and add more pepper.
I upped the garlic and onion powders to 1 1/2 tsp and the thyme to 3/4 tsp. I also used kosher salt and freshly ground pepper and added them early, while I let the meat come to room temp before the first flour dip. I think I'll use sirloin next time. Cubed steak is really not my thing, although this was a big hit in my house. Great recipe. Uncomplicated, unlike many others, but the flavor was amazing!
This is really good and easy to prepare. Worth the calories!