Recipe by hoitytoity
I've tried several different chicken enchilada recipes here but they all were lacking in one area or another. After many attempts I finally took the best parts of each and came up with the best recipe yet. NOTE- these come out very firm because I let most of the enchilada sauce evaporate when cooking when the chicken. If you want them gooey, don't let it cook too long.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
These are excellent chicken enchiladas, and differ from most we've tried in having the sauce and chicken combined and cooked together before assembly. Ours were not overly firm; in fact they were pretty soft inside and covered with a very thick blanket of cheese. Made for PAC Fall '08.
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained & chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄4 chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 tortillas (preferably flour)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large skillet. Saute onions, garlic, green chilles, and mushrooms for 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and can of enchilada sauce. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. Again, the consistency of the dish depends on how long you let the sauce thicken/evaporate.
- Mix in all of the spices (more or less, depending on your taste). Blend in the sour cream and the cream of chicken until fully mixed. Remove from heat.
- Spoon mixture evenly into tortillas and roll them up. Place them seam-side down in an oil-coated 13x9-inch pan. Pour leftover mixture evenly over the enchiladas.
- Mix the milk and 4-cheese blend in a small bowl. Pour evenly over the enchiladas and sprinkle the cheddar cheese over it.
- Bake for 350°F for 35-45 minutes.