Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've never had a better one. Been making this for years. Use a chablis, sauvignon blanc or any not-sweet similar white wine; it need not be a great wine but the wine DOES add that certain something. I've even been known to add a tiny splash of dry sherry at the finish. The soup is filling and delicious. Also freezes well. A vintage recipe, from my "olde" recipe file. I'll tell you how old it is: it calls for 17 oz. cans of creamed corn! I have no idea where the recipe came from originally!
- Put chicken, chopped veg, bay leaf, water and 1 cup wine in pot and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove chicken and veg, and simmer potatoes in the broth.
- Meanwhile chunk chicken. Discard bay leaf and cloves.
- Puree carrots, celery and potatoes. Return chicken and vegs to soup.
- Add remaining wine, corn and milk. Salt and pepper if needed. Heat until hot.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
This was awesome. My daughter absolutely loved it!
I loved the pureed veggies as a substitute for using cream or half & half. I originally found this recipe because I had no cream on hand and wanted chowder w/o going to the store -- I always have wine on hand! It does add a wonderful flavor. I may decrease the carrots next time, it made the soup a bit too orange. I also just used regular canned corn and added a bit of flour to thicken the soup. I also added some chicken broth and bacon bits. Completely yummy and loaded w/ flavor -- my husband had seconds and thirds of this.