Recipe by Axe
The dressing in this recipe is what it's all about! Any substitutions will definitely have an effect on this one, so I encourage you to follow the recipe as close as you can. Do not drain the anchovies. Use the whole can, liquid included. If you like Caesar Salad, you'll love this!
Top Review by Autuamnsprite
This is really good, mild not real spicy. I thought the garlic would have given it a bite, but it was very nice. Didn't have ground mustard so I used prepared. Will definitely make again. Thanks.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic-flavored croutons
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lettuce and spin to dry or towel dry.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, garlic and lemon juice.
- Whisk until blended.
- Coddle the egg by boiling a cup or 2 of water. Gently drop in the egg and let stand for 1 minute. Remove and let cool.
- Once cooled, crack the egg and add all of it to the dressing and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Mash the anchovies and add (including the liquid from the can) to the dressing.
- Place torn lettuce leaves in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and lightly toss.
- Add the grated cheese, croutons and fresh black pepper and serve immediately.