Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The dressing in this recipe is what it's all about! Any substitutions will definitely have an effect on this one, so I encourage you to follow the recipe as close as you can. Do not drain the anchovies. Use the whole can, liquid included. If you like Caesar Salad, you'll love this!
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovy fillets, undrained
- 1 1⁄2 cups garlic-flavored croutons
- fresh ground black pepper
- Wash lettuce and spin to dry or towel dry.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, salt, mustard, garlic and lemon juice.
- Whisk until blended.
- Coddle the egg by boiling a cup or 2 of water. Gently drop in the egg and let stand for 1 minute. Remove and let cool.
- Once cooled, crack the egg and add all of it to the dressing and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Mash the anchovies and add (including the liquid from the can) to the dressing.
- Place torn lettuce leaves in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and lightly toss.
- Add the grated cheese, croutons and fresh black pepper and serve immediately.