Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
We've started eating whole grains and that means we now eat brown rice instead of the starchy white rice. But it takes so long to cook it, so I was trying to find the correct formula for making it in my rice steamer. So I could cook it on the weekends and have it ready to go for the week. This "recipe" makes about 6 cups, which for my family is two dinners worth plus some. I've also included freezing instructions for the extra servings.
- Place 2 c rice in a dish with a cover. Pour enough water in to cover and let sit on the counter for at least 2 hours.
- Drain in a colendar.
- Fill steamer with water to the high mark. Place steamer basket on steamer. Put rice in rice bowl with 2 1/2 c clean water.
- Cover steamer and steam for 65 to 70 minutes Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove rice from steamer. If eating it right away serve as usual with butter and spices.
- If you are not eating right away put rice back in colendar and rinse with cold water till rice is cooled. Place portions into zip top freezer bags, lay flat and squeeze out air and seal bags. Place in freezer till serving day.
- To use frozen rice, place bag in fridge to thaw about 12 hrs before you are going to use it. Pour thawed rice into a microwave container with just a sprinkle of water. Cover and vent. Microwave about 2 to 3 mins or till warmed through. Serve as usual.
A brilliant method. It cooked up ligth and fluffy and is perfect for making baby cereal.
Wonderfully clear instructions for cooking and freezing which means I'll be cooking brown rice and using it in recipes very much more often. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, MsSally! Made for Every Day is a Holiday.
Wow! I did not think you could do brown rice in the steamer, but now I have this great tip to do it. It was nice to be able to have something a little more healthy to serve to my kids without them really knowing it. I have a couple small bags waiting for me in the freezer to throw into soups as needed! Made and Reviewed for EveryDay Holiday Tag - Thanks! :)