Recipe by MsSally
We've started eating whole grains and that means we now eat brown rice instead of the starchy white rice. But it takes so long to cook it, so I was trying to find the correct formula for making it in my rice steamer. So I could cook it on the weekends and have it ready to go for the week. This "recipe" makes about 6 cups, which for my family is two dinners worth plus some. I've also included freezing instructions for the extra servings.
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 2 c rice in a dish with a cover. Pour enough water in to cover and let sit on the counter for at least 2 hours.
- Drain in a colendar.
- Fill steamer with water to the high mark. Place steamer basket on steamer. Put rice in rice bowl with 2 1/2 c clean water.
- Cover steamer and steam for 65 to 70 minutes Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove rice from steamer. If eating it right away serve as usual with butter and spices.
- If you are not eating right away put rice back in colendar and rinse with cold water till rice is cooled. Place portions into zip top freezer bags, lay flat and squeeze out air and seal bags. Place in freezer till serving day.
- To use frozen rice, place bag in fridge to thaw about 12 hrs before you are going to use it. Pour thawed rice into a microwave container with just a sprinkle of water. Cover and vent. Microwave about 2 to 3 mins or till warmed through. Serve as usual.