Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Moist bran muffins with currants make a great breakfast or snack.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup currants
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix eggs, milk, oil, Splenda, molasses and vanilla. Stir in bran and let soak for 5 minutes to soften bran.
- In another bowl blend flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and gently stir in currants. Be careful not to over mix batter.
- Line a muffin tin with 10 to 12 wrappers, depending on how large you want the muffins. Divide batter between the wrappers and bake for 20 minutes.