Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Truly perfect. Perfect for trifles, perfect with fresh fruit, perfect with caramel sauce, perfect on its own.
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat eggs in top of a double boiler on medium speed of an electric mixer until frothy.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt; stirring well; gradually add to eggs, beating until thick.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk into egg mixture; add remaining milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring water in bottom of double boiler to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until custard thickens and coats a metal spoon.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour custard into serving bowl and chill.
Seriously easy to make custard. Hard to mess this one up. And delicious too. Used this to make tiramisu from scratch and it turned out amazing.
I like this recipe much better than the one I had been using! I have been making this regularly for a friend who is terminal and unable to eat solid food and the doctors said she needs the calories and fat! Thanks for the help at a difficult time : )
This is seriously the best custard ever. Thanks!!