Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Truly perfect. Perfect for trifles, perfect with fresh fruit, perfect with caramel sauce, perfect on its own.
- Beat eggs in top of a double boiler on medium speed of an electric mixer until frothy.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt; stirring well; gradually add to eggs, beating until thick.
- Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk into egg mixture; add remaining milk, stirring constantly.
- Bring water in bottom of double boiler to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, or until custard thickens and coats a metal spoon.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour custard into serving bowl and chill.
I like this recipe much better than the one I had been using! I have been making this regularly for a friend who is terminal and unable to eat solid food and the doctors said she needs the calories and fat! Thanks for the help at a difficult time : )
This is seriously the best custard ever. Thanks!!
A really nice, light dessert. Not to sweet, but sweet enough to be satisfying. I topped it with mommyof2's "Whiskey Sauce Recipe" Definatly a keeper. This would make a good custard to put in cream puffs. Thanks for posting.