Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love the the texture and flavor this technique produces in making blueberry filling. If you are tired of the overly processed and overly cornstarched taste of blueberry pie filling, give this a try. Method produces a "fresh blueberry" taste.
- 946.38 ml blueberries (4 cups)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 44.37 ml water
- 4.92 ml lemon rind, grated
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 1 egg, well beaten with
- 0.25 ml salt, for egg washing top of pie
- 29.58 ml sugar, for top of pie
- 2 individual pie crusts
- Combine 1 cup berries with 3/4 cup sugar in pan.
- Simmer on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid; about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in bowl.
- Add to pan with blueberries.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to full boil and is clear and thick.
- Pour hot mixture into large bowl.Cool until warm.
- Fold in remaining 3 cups of blueberries, lemon rind, cinnamon,nutmeg and butter.
- Let cool before adding to pie crust.
- Add top crust and brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F but reduce heat to 375°F when you put pie in oven. Bake about 40 minutes. Check pie halfway through baking; cover edges with a strip of foil if edges are getting too brown.
- This technique works for any delicate fruit such as raspberries or strawberries.
Absolutley perfect!! I doubled the berries, sugar, and cornstarch/water to make it thicker to use as a filling for a cake. Then added the blueberries and it worked amazingly. Its a little sweet with all the sugar. To speed up the liquid process in the begining add a tablespoon of water to the sugar and berries. Tastes wonderful without the spices as well.
To preface, I am a 21 year old man and have very little baking experience. THIS IS THE BEST PIE FILLING IN THE WORLD. I made it for 4th of July at my girlfriend's house. It passed as "absolutely delicious" for A) a 93 year old southern woman who has been cooking her whole life, B) the grandparents, C) the Dad, a blueberry pie lover, D) the Mom, E) me and my girlfriend. To be honest, while I was cleaning up, I stole a little bite of the pre-cooked filing and it gave me goose-bumps because it was THAT good. I've never had a food do that to me...
OH MY GAWD!! This is hands down the absolute BEST blueberry filling I have ever made! Super quick, super easy and perfectly delicious. I am using it in my holiday squares and in my kolackys. I did not have lemon zest on hand, so I substituted 1/4 tsp. of lemon extract. I also doubled the inital blueberry/sugar mix, and added 1 extra TBS. of cornstarch and water. So yummy, I too was licking the spoon. Pastryismybiz...you ROCK!