Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love the the texture and flavor this technique produces in making blueberry filling. If you are tired of the overly processed and overly cornstarched taste of blueberry pie filling, give this a try. Method produces a "fresh blueberry" taste.
- 2 pints blueberries (4 cups)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 egg, well beaten with
- 1 pinch salt, for egg washing top of pie
- 2 tablespoons sugar, for top of pie
- 2 individual pie crusts
- Combine 1 cup berries with 3/4 cup sugar in pan.
- Simmer on low heat until sugar is melted and mixture is very liquid; about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water in bowl.
- Add to pan with blueberries.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to full boil and is clear and thick.
- Pour hot mixture into large bowl.Cool until warm.
- Fold in remaining 3 cups of blueberries, lemon rind, cinnamon,nutmeg and butter.
- Let cool before adding to pie crust.
- Add top crust and brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400°F but reduce heat to 375°F when you put pie in oven. Bake about 40 minutes. Check pie halfway through baking; cover edges with a strip of foil if edges are getting too brown.
- This technique works for any delicate fruit such as raspberries or strawberries.
Absolutley perfect!! I doubled the berries, sugar, and cornstarch/water to make it thicker to use as a filling for a cake. Then added the blueberries and it worked amazingly. Its a little sweet with all the sugar. To speed up the liquid process in the begining add a tablespoon of water to the sugar and berries. Tastes wonderful without the spices as well.
This was my first pie EVER and it was so easy and delicious..my daughters8&10 really enjoyed the ease and fresh flavor...I've made it twice in one week..EXCELLENT
I had fresh blueberries I was going to make a cobbler from. The pie filling recipe was perfect & very easy! I didn't have the lemon rind but it turned out very good. Thanks for sharing!