Recipe by Elisabetta47
This is the best way to achieve fluffy basmati rice that I've found. From Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East Vegetarian Cooking. Doubles perfectly.
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the rice in several changes of water & drain it.
- Put it in a bowl with 5 cups of water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain it thoroughly & let it sit in the strainer for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the drained rice.
- Cook, stirring gently, over medium heat for about a minute, until all the grains are coated with butter.
- Add 2 1/2 cups (1/2 litre) water & the salt.
- Bring to a boil, cover, turn to very low & cook 20 minutes.
- Turn off the flame & leave the pot, covered for another 10 minutes.