1/4 Photos of Perfect Basic Brown Rice
This basic recipe was printed in Saveur magazine. It works well for any brown rice - short, medium or long-grain brown rice. Disregard the directions on your package. Most likely it will come out mushy. In this recipe, the boiling (uncovered) cooks it thoroughly, and the steaming at the end make it light and fluffy.
My Private Note
- 1Rinse the starch off the rice in a strainer under cold water for 30 seconds.
- 2Bring the water to a boil over high heat in a large pot that has a tight fitting lid.
- 3Add the rice, stir it just once, and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 4Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink and drain for 10 seconds.
- 5Return the rice to the same pot, off the heat.
- 6Cover immediately and set aside for 10 minutes (this is the steaming part).
- 7Uncover, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Basic Brown Rice
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.1
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 24.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g