Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I despise bland baked potatoes! This is a cooperative recipe that I put together using techniques I have gathered from my father, brother in law, eldest brother and myself. I know that you will love the ease of putting together these very flavorful baked potatoes. NOTE: There is a pictorial tutorial in the photo gallery to the left.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 19.71 ml butter
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and finely minced (optional)
- 4.92 ml liquid smoke (choose mesquite -o-r- hickory flavor)
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml black pepper, freshly cracked
- FLAVORED OIL: In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, liquid smoke and garlic. Set aside.
- SEASONING MIX: In a small dish mix kosher salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Set aside.
- Wash, scrub and dry potatoes well. With a sharp paring knife, cut out a nice wedge from the potato's middle. Remove the wedge and place 1 teaspoon of butter in the hollow. Sprinkle with seasoning mix. Replace the wedge pressing down gently.
- Place each potato on its own sheet of foil. Rub the potato with the olive oil mixture making sure to get some of the crushed garlic on the potato. Sprinkle with additional seasoning mix and roll up tightly in aluminum foil.
- OVEN: Place potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes.
- GRILL: Place potatoes on the grill away from the coals, close the lid and grill for 40-60 minutes depending on the temperature of your grill.
Excellent potatoes! I love variety and this brought it to the table. I was rushed for time and saw on another site to microwave each side for three minutes then grill for 5-10. That was my only deviation. Family loved it and guests loved. Thank you for the recipe.
More prep time than outcome yields, my family could not really tell a difference. I'm gonna try it again! Hard to pass judgement with one attempt.