Recipe by Ackman
I got this from an old Bavarian Meat Mkt., years ago. Everyone raves about...hope you do, too! It comes out so moist, tender & flavorful! HINT: Stay away from the spiral sliced hams...they have a tendancy to get overcooked & dry out.
- 1 (7 -8 lb) smoked ham, half (about 7-8 lbs.)
- 10 -15 whole cloves
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 tablespoons ham soup base
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large onion, chopped coarse
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard (Gulden's, preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Score the fat on the ham in about 1 inches diamond shapes & place a whole clove in the center of each -- 10-15 whole cloves is plenty.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together & pour into the bottom of a large roaster.
- Place ham in roaster & place in oven.
- Bake 5-6 hours.
- Check every 1½ to 2 hours to be sure there's enough liquid in the bottom of the roaster -- add HOT water as needed.
- NOTE: I don't normally glaze my ham, but if you do, I recommend making a medium-thick paste out of ginger ale & light brown sugar & glaze during the last hour or so.