Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This recipe is so easy to put together. I use the canned beans instead of the dried beans in order to remove the step of soaking and boiling the beans. Also, in this recipe, I use sautéed bacon that is drained so the fat content is cut down extremely from the traditional salt pork. Enjoy with bacon and eggs or as a tasty side for BBQ ribs!
- 4 (540 ml) cans navy beans (in water)
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes liquid smoke
- Strain and rinse beans and add to large dutch oven.
- Sauté bacon until crispy and then place on a plate with paper towel to soak up the fat.
- Add cooked bacon and onion to beans in kettle.
- Combine other ingredients in separate bowl. Stir until smooth and then cover the bean mixture. Stir gently.
- Add water to the pot to just cover the beans.
- Bake at 300°F for 4-6 hours stirring occasionally. More water may need to be added along the way.