1/1 Photo of Perfect Apple Pie!
1 hr 45 mins
This is a very simple apple pie recipe, and one that I have always had success with, it is the one I always choose when I want to make a perfect apple pie. Of coarse you can use your favorite pie crust recipe if desired. Remember, use only Granny Smith or Pippin for this pie otherwise you will end up with a mushy filling. This pie can also be made with a crumb topping instead of a top pastry crust see recipe below. Once you try this recipe for apple pie you will always come back to it! The amount of apple filling is enough for one large 10-inch deep-dish pie or divide in half and make two 8-inch pies, also the crumb topping for this recipe is enough for two small pies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 double crust pie crust (for a 10 inch deep-dish pie, my butter pie crust Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust works great for this or use your fav)
- 8 tart green apples, peeled, cored and cut into no larger than 1/2-inch slices (use Granny Smith or Pippin apples for this only)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or juice of half lemon)
- 1 cup sugar (if you prefer a sweeter filling increase the sugar by a couple tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (no subs)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar (preferably coarse sugar)
- 1Prepare a double pie crust as directed.
- 2Roll out one disk on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle and place the pastry in the pie plate.
- 3Gently press the dough into sides pie plate leaving an overhang of crust.
- 4Refrigerate while preparing the apple filling.
- 5Set oven rack to the second-lowest position and heat to 425 degrees.
- 6Peel, core and slice the apples into 1/2-inch slices (no larger than 1/2-inch).
- 7Place in a bowl and gently toss the apples with the fresh lemon juice.
- 8In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg (if using).
- 9Add the sugar mixture to the apples and toss well to coat.
- 10Transfer the apple mixture into the chilled prepared crust and mound the apples slightly in the center.
- 11Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- 12Roll out the second pastry, and place over filling.
- 13Flute the edges together.
- 14Make several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape (if the pie dough is too soft, place in the freezer for 10 minutes).
- 15Whisk an egg white with a fork, and brush onto top of crust.
- 16Sprinkle with sugar.
- 17Place on a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- 18Bake for 25 minutes.
- 19Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees (leave the pie in the oven and do not open the oven door) continue baking for about another 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is deep golden brown and the fruit is bubbling.
- 20Transfer to a wire rack and cool for at least 4 hours before slicing the pie.
- 21TO MAKE PIE WITH CRUMB TOPPING: in a bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon; mix well with a spoon.
- 22Add in 1/2 cup COLD butter (no subs) cut into small chunks and mix together with your fingers to combine well.
- 23Add in some chopped walnuts if desired.
- 24Place in the fridge while preparing the pie.
- 25Make the pie filling exactly as directed, and dot with 2-3 tablespoons of butter before sprinkling on the topping.
- 26Bake as directed, but cover with foil the least 15 minutes of baking.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Apple Pie!
Serving Size: 1 (2210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3852.2
- Calories from Fat 1349
- Total Fat 149.9 g
- Saturated Fat 46.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2494.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 618.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 35.4 g
- Sugars 381.7 g
- Protein 33.2 g